Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Too smart for my own good

So I've set up a profile on writerscafe.org and I'm reading through other people's stuff, and it is frustrating as all get out all the punctuation, grammatical, and spelling errors I see. Sometimes they say, "I typed this here so I couldn't use spell check." Did you at least proofread what you wrote before sending it out into the world to be reviewed by your peers? How do you not notice that you've used " instead of , half a dozen times? How are you trying to make a living as a writer and creating a free writing course when you don't know the difference between your and you're? For that matter, how do you open a used bookstore and name it $2 Buck Books?

Anyway, the point of all this is that it is incredibly difficult to enjoy a story or read it for content in a way that I can provide constructive criticism when it is chock full of errors. Sigh. I know it probably sounds terrible to complain about being too smart, but it really is exhausting going through life being assaulted by errors at every turn. Newspapers, tv, movies, and especially Facebook: grammatical errors are everywhere. I can usually ignore them if they come from my friends and family, but when they come from people making vicious comments on Facebook or people who aspire to be professional writers, it really makes me insane. You aren't helping yourself in either situation, in my opinion.

I guess I can only hope my masterful use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling makes my writing stand out from the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment