Monday, July 2, 2012

Excuse me sir, your shovel is out of tune

So I'm watching America's Got Talent, and the last act was a guy who turns normal objects into musical instruments. For example, tonight he played a baseball bat flute, a vacuum cleaner saxophone...and a terribly out of tune shovel fiddle. It's great that you can make instruments out of everyday objects, and it's awesome that you know how to play a flute, sax, and fiddle, but if your shovel is out of tune...you're going to get X'd. Sorry, but that's life on reality TV. Just because you can turn a shovel into a fiddle doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

What's your talent? I like to think I can dance pretty well; I would dance better if I wasn't carrying around all this extra weight. If my customers tell the truth, I'm a pretty good groomer. I'm hoping my big talent is writing. And that's what I am trying to develop here, to hone my talent into something I can take to the bank. Otherwise, I'm nearly talentless. Not entirely, just nearly.

But I don't want to be negative tonight. I've already mentally written and discarded three separate blog posts already.

How great is it to live in a country and time where going on a tv show with nothing but raw talent can bring you exposure and cash? Even acts that don't win can get enough exposure for careers, especially the singers. Sure, the odds of winning America's Got Talent are slim, but the odds are just as slim, if not slimmer, trying to chase your dream the hard way. Many of these acts have been chasing their dreams for years, if not decades, already. Of course, where do you go to chase a dream of playing shovels as musical instruments for a living?

I guess the moral of the story is: even if your shovel is out of tune, don't be afraid to chase your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment