Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dog Names

Well, it looks like my first dog isn't going to show up, so I guess I'll take this time to write a blog post.

When I was in the shower this morning, I was thinking about my schedule for today, and it occurred to me to talk about dog names and wonder how people name their dogs.

Hailey came with her name, and I liked it, so I kept it. Dillin came with the name Snowball, which I HATED. Dexter came with his name too, and so did the pets I had before him, so I wasn't sure how to come up with a good name. I asked my coworkers for help. One of my coworkers watches the TV show "Modern Family," and I do, too. A character on the show named Haley had a boyfriend named Dylan, so my coworker suggested that. I decided to change the spelling to reflect the fact that in Hindi, "dil" is "heart" and "dilli" is of or from the heart (or something like that). Anyway, that's how I got to Dillin.

What led me to think about dog names was that I have a wheaten named Murphy at the end of my day today. I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here, the vast majority of wheatens seem to be named either Murphy or Bailey, and the majority of Murphys seem to be wheatens. I have no idea why that is, but all groomers I know have also noticed this trend, so I know I'm not making it up.

Also, in groomer lore, a dog named Angel, Sugar, or Sweetie Pie will probably be vicious, while Harleys and Bruisers tend to be very good dogs to groom. Although, when I think about it, the percentage of naughty Anglels probably isn't any higher than the percentage of other dog names that are vicious; we as groomers just to tend to remember the naughty ones and forget about the good ones.

So let's start a discussion: how did you name your dog(s)? I'm curious.

5 comments:

  1. My dog is River. Named after River Tam in Firefly (one of my fave shows).

    My sis named her dog Audrey because she adores Audrey Hepburn.

    My mom named her dog Nala because she crawled through the yard on her belly and looked kinda like a lion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a yorkie i named her Rihanna thought it was funny and you could call her by any name and she would only respond to Rihanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a yorkie i named her Rihanna thought it was funny and you could call her by any name and she would only respond to Rihanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a yorkie i named her Rihanna thought it was funny and you could call her by any name and she would only respond to Rihanna

    ReplyDelete