Saturday, July 14, 2012

Validation

Validation. We all seek it in our lives. We want to know that what we think, believe, or hope for are good, right, possible. And when you get that validation...life is that much sweeter.

If you follow my Facebook page, you may already know that I just won a contest with Dexter, a post I wrote a couple weeks ago. There was no cash prize, but getting first place out of 67 entries is very validating and rewarding. It says to me that I am on the right path, that perhaps I am good enough to make money with my writing someday. It's one thing for my friends and family to say they like my writing; it's quite another for those of you who read my blog and whoever judged that contest to say so.

The reality is, nobody should really need or seek outer validation; we should be able to validate ourselves. But why is that so hard? Are we afraid we're just being egotistical? Are we afraid of being wrong? What causes us to look to others for what we should be able to give ourselves?

I guess I believe we shouldn't try so hard to seek validation, but we should be very grateful when we get it. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, after all. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment