Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Double Trouble

As my puppies get older (Hailey is a year and a half and Dillin is almost one), I use this term less frequently, but certain circumstances definitely warrant the phrases: double trouble, terrible twosome, deadly duo. OK, maybe not deadly, but they can certainly be trouble makers.

Between Hailey's smarts and agility and Dillin's...

Compulsiveness?

...They can cause quite a fracas. Just now, Hailey was getting possessive over a bone, so I took it away from her and stuck it here on the desk next to me.

I put it far enough away from the edge of the desk that she couldn't just stand up and reach it, so for her, it was out of sight, out of mind.

Then I saw Dillin's plan, pretty smart for him, driven by his intense need to chew on things and also have whatever Hailey wants.

He hopped up on the sofa and headed my way, eyes deadlocked on the bone. He was going to walk the staircase from the seat of the sofa, to the arm, to my desk. Sort of brilliant, but DEFINITELY not OK. My dogs are allowed on beds and sofas, but not desks, tables, or kitchen chairs.

So I had to move the bone to higher ground.


Double trouble also means I have to make sure my trash cans are well-secured, because it can mean knocking over trash cans for a Kleenex feast.



Look, puppy snacks! Certainly cheaper than actual dog treats (note: I do not encourage Kleenex eating).


It means that even though Hailey LOVES other dogs, if Dillin barks at a big dog and gets upset, she will too.

It also means they have grown to love each other so much that they hate to be apart. Every morning and every night when I come home from work, I let them out of their kennels and they Baywatch run to each other and hop on their back legs into a play hug. They have wire crates that are right next to each other and they can see each other, but after eight hours physically apart, it's like they're long lost lovers or something.

That is very cute.

Of course, occasionally their intense need to be together can cause problems, too.

A few days ago, Hailey was in her kennel so she wouldn't poop on the carpet (long story for another day), and while I was in the shower for 15 minutes, Dillin got bored without his sister and chewed a hole in the carpet.

O_o

So getting a five-month-old puppy when Hailey was still less than a year old was not brilliant on my part in many ways, but it also makes me feel better that they can play with each other while I am busy; and since they are so close in age, hopefully they will both live long lives together. Whoever gets left behind after the other passes will be devastated.

I will pass along more double trouble stories as they happen. Do you have any double trouble stories to add?


1 comment:

  1. Grooming a dog is an essential part of dog ownership. Dogs too like human beings need physical maintenance to feel and look their best. Dogs do not require to be bathed regularly but every dog owner must be well aware of how much grooming their dog actually requires and follow a schedule accordingly. Generally, using dog grooming tools largely depend on both the breed as well as the hair type.

    Toronto Dog Grooming

    ReplyDelete