Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Novel Novel Idea

So I got another great idea for another novel today - a fictionalized memoir about Dexter, from his POV! 1800 words in, I'm sure I've got a winning idea, so that's pretty exciting. I've been focusing all my time and energy on my blog and Facebook page the last two or three weeks and I haven't done much other writing lately, so it feels good to get back into it. I have so many writing projects going on right now that it's a little crazy, but hopefully I can get moving on one or more of those projects. I'm really loving the Dexter piece right now, so hopefully I can keep some momentum up on that one.


This is Dexter when he was about three. I had had him just over a year when this pic was taken.


Here is a small excerpt from what I wrote this afternoon. Input always welcome! I love it so much I have to share, but I am always open to critique.


"My first two months of life were okay. We were outside all the time, and sometimes it was really hot, and sometimes it was wet and cold, but I was always with my mom and siblings, so it was all right. 

As I got older, I got more adventurous and wandered further and further away from Mom. One day when I was about six weeks old, I made it all the way to the farthest corner of the yard all by myself.

And that’s when I discovered the greatest treasure of all. I found a dirt-covered tennis ball wedged under the wooden fence that surrounded our yard. It took a while, but I was able to pry the ball out from under the fence with my big front feet, and I had my own personal treasure! A couple of my siblings tried to take it away from me, but I could run faster than they could.

Day and night, I kept an eye on that tennis ball. I had no idea then why it was so special, but I knew that it was my destiny and I refused to let it go. How could I have known it would be only the first of so many things I would lose?"


Well, I'm tired, so that's it for tonight's blog post. I'll talk to you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment