Monday, July 23, 2012

Dedication

DEDICATION.

It's such a big word. Dedication. According to The Free Dictionary, dedication means: "complete and wholehearted devotion, esp to a career, ideal, etc." 


I think you need passion to have dedication. I think it would be incredibly difficult to be dedicated to something you aren't passionate about. Not impossible, certainly. Maybe you aren't passionate about your job, but you like money enough to be dedicated to your job without being passionate about it. I believe I am dedicated to my job and to being the best groomer I can.


PASSION.


"Boundless enthusiasm."


My new goal is to be dedicated to writing, whether it's here or elsewhere. I've been averaging more than one blog post a day for the past three weeks, so I'd say that's a good place to start. Since my ultimate goal is to make a living by writing, I need to learn the dedication required to sit at my computer and write when there are so many distractions pulling me away. Like my dogs, who are playing at my feet right now. Or the TV I'm half watching behind me. Or, or, or...


But I do have passion. I have always been passionate about writing, but I didn't have enough focus to turn that passion into dedication. I guess that's the other piece of the puzzle...


FOCUS.


"Close or narrow attention; concentration."


OK, this blog post is a little meandering, but I guess I'm thinking out loud to discover that to reach your dreams, you need a special combination of DEDICATION, PASSION, and FOCUS.


Does anybody have anything to add? What's your take on dedication? Do you think there is another piece? What are you dedicated to? Let's start a conversation, I'm curious to hear all your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment