Saturday, October 20, 2012

More recent pics

These pictures have all been taken within the last couple of weeks; I just haven't had a chance to use them yet.

This first guy is a puppy I do; he just turned 9 months old. He is a Yorkie/Bichon mix, and his hair color and texture has changed several times already. He started off Yorkie-colored with rough hair, then it got lighter colored and fine and frizzy, and now it's turning tan and wiry. I can't wait to see what the end result turns out to be!


Here's another puppy, a Westie this time. She's 4 or 5 months old (I've done two Westie puppies recently; one was 4 months and one was 5 months, and I don't really remember which was which.). This was her first grooming, so we went with the standard minimal trimming we like to do on puppies: the face, feet, and potty areas.


This guy is a new client. I had done a quick-service face, feet, and nail trim on him a few weeks ago, but this time he got the full grooming. Mom loved that crazy beard/goatee thing, so I had to leave it. I wish his face wasn't so blurry; the rest of it was cute. He was also a really well-behaved dog.


This is a Standard Poodle request I've been doing since I started working at the other groom shop a year and a half ago. She's a really good dog, but I'm still not that great at her pom feet. I've definitely gotten better over the last year and a half, and the owners are happy with them, but I know someday I will get them to look even better.


These two Yorkie sisters were both really well-behaved. One of them was "involved in a shaving incident," which is code for "we tried to groom her ourselves and failed miserably." I've seen worse home jobs before. I can tell she had grown in some, but I still think what they did looked okay - there were just a lot of spots they missed, like her neck and knees. Anyway, I fixed her up and the owners were very happy. 


I think I've shown pictures of this Westie before. The owner likes her to look as close to a show dog as I can get. I don't do any hand stripping, so I have to accomplish that same look with a clipper cut. I feel like I'm really good at blending her skirt, which is why I took this side view. A note for any groomers reading this:  I hold my thinning shears vertically against the dog where the pattern meets the skirt and use my thinning shears to blend the entire pattern. It makes a BIG difference over just skimming with a blade (in my opinion).


Here't the front view. Even with hairspray, I can't get her head quite tall enough, but this is the biggest and roundest I've gotten it yet. I'm so much better at smaller, pet-sized Westie heads, but what can you do?


Here's a Poodle/Bichon mix that I do. I just love him to pieces; he has such a great personality! His hair sucks a little bit, but I've been doing just short enough of a cut and she brings him just frequently enough to avoid  a matted nightmare.


This was another new client, a Havanese I think. She was really sweet and had really good hair. I'm really happy with the way she came out, and so were her owners. 


And here are a couple pictures of the other Westie puppy I recently did. I had really vague instructions about the haircut, so I decided to trim the ears but not tip them yet and do just over 1/2" on her back - this was just enough of a haircut for her to look like a Westie, but I didn't take too much of her puppy-ness away. Her hair was SO fine that I couldn't get bows behind her ears, so I decided to scrounge up enough hair on top of her head for one bow.


Here's a side view so you can see how smooth her back is without being shaved as short as a usual Westie cut.


And here's a Schnauzer mix I did. I think this one got a light trim all over. As you can see, the owner didn't want the traditional Schnauzer head with a long beard and pointy eyebrows. I think they look a little strange without their signature face, but I admit that this guy's face turned out awfully cute.


Well, that's all the pictures I have today. I'll bring you more soon!

8 comments:

  1. Don't be yourself up over that Westie. First of all, she doesn't have the right coat texture to get that chrysanthemum head. Second of all, they use chalk and about 8 lbs. of hairspray to do that, then wash it out immediately after they get out of the ring because it's so much product. It's unrealistic to keep a head that way and even the show people don't do it. But everyone wants that Caesar dog look. lol. But they have no idea how it's really accomplished. And kudos to you for blending it in. I hate when groomers just leave the clipper line, drives me nuts. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Amanda! I figured they had to use bottles and bottles of hairspray...how do they use chalk? Anyway, it's good to know I'm not a failure for not being able to get that head right!

      And the clipper line drives me nuts, too!!! I have a Cocker that I do where she actually WANTS the skirt as blunt as possible. I hate sending that dog out the door with a hula skirt, I feel like he's advertising around town what a terrible groomer I am!

      Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
      Jennifer

      Delete
  2. Great pictures! I wish I had the patience to get pictures of all my grooming dogs (or at least more of them). I groom 2 BRT's they really are the sweetest dogs (at least these two, from two different families are). However, the one owner is very specific about the groom, which is fine, and I certainly do my best, but WOW, that is one complicated groom. She brings me at least 12 pages of instructions (not an exaggeration!!). He is gorgeous when he's done. Just came across your blog. Love reading about other groomers experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D - Thanks for taking the time to comment and for the compliment! I'm still trying to get used to taking pictures of the dogs I groom. Some days I always remember, some days I never remember, and sometimes I'm just too busy.

      I don't think I've ever gotten more than 2 or 3 pages of grooming instructions - I can't even imagine 12 pages!!!

      I'm glad you enjoy my blog! I also love petgroomingthegoodthebadthefurry.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. I have a 3 year old Westie and just started grooming her myself about a year ago. I went on a one day course. At the school they use brylcream and chalk for the head. Not to keen on that myself so only used it the first time. I am still learning and keep checking her out after I have groomed her to see what needs adjusting, poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terribly sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your comment; for various reasons, I have been away from my blog for about 6 months.

      It's great that you are taking the initiative to learn how to groom your own dog! I hadn't heard of using brylcream before, though I have heard of using chalk. I haven't tried it, though. Most of the time with pet grooming, we aren't going for that showy poofy head, so I rarely use any product, although I do have one Westie that I use a water-based gel on because her parents like her to look more like a show dog.

      Grooming just takes practice, and I can tell you from experience that she probably looks better to everybody else than to you - groomers, even home groomers like yourself, tend to be nit-pickers.

      Anyway, thanks for taking the time to comment, and sorry again it took so long for me to reply.

      Delete
  4. I love the look of your westie cuts! I wish we had a groomer around where I live but unfortunately the closest one is almost an hour away. I'd pay you to do my dog's hair if I lived near you! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in my reply; I've hardly been on here at all for the last year or so.

      Thank you very much for the compliment. :-) I appreciate it very much!

      Delete