Friday, October 12, 2012

Weekly Round-Up

Today I'm bringing you a bunch of dog pictures from the last couple of weeks. I know you all don't mind picture-heavy blog posts. :-)

This Golden is one of my regulars that followed me from my old location to the new location. She's been my request for over a year, and I barely trim anything except her feet and sometimes her front legs. During the holidays last year, she couldn't get an appointment with me, so she went to a different groomer - who cut off her butt and tail. It's just now growing back properly. Dogs with long feathers make me a little crazy because I like to trim feathers short, but she really is quite pretty if I say so myself.


This Shih Tzu was a new client whose owner wasn't very specific other than "Don't take his ears too short." I left just over half an inch, and she loved it! I think he turned out cute, and he was very well-behaved.


This is another of my requests who followed me. He's a very sweet poodle mix who gets nervous. I am happy to report, though, that he is far less nervous than he was when I first started grooming him - I suspect that's why his owners were more than happy to follow me. Anyway, here's his before. He always looks this shaggy when he comes in.


And here's his after picture. For the life of me I couldn't get him to look at the camera.


These next two dogs I did on Sunday or Monday back at the old place.

This first guy is a cute Maltese (mix?). He gets an extremely short haircut, as you can tell. You can't tell by the way he's sitting, but he was stepped on as a puppy (before his current owners got him) and his back right leg is messed up. He can still walk, but I think it bothers him to stand on it much, so I let him sit as much as I can.


And here's a Yorkie that's been going to that location since long before I started. He used to get a Westie cut, with a short back and longer skirt and legs, but his skirt was always matted, so the owner agreed to start going short all over. He can be obnoxious (mostly for the dryer) but he's still sweet.


Back to my new location, here's a Schnauzer mix. He was very sweet and very nervous.


OK, that's enough pictures for today, I'll have more soon.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice..they look great...I was a groomer for 25 years...i loved what i did and loved being with the animals...always took my time as you do too...it is so worth it if you can gain their respect and have them really like to come and see you ...i had all kinds of dogs i did that no one else would do cause they were said to be a problem...i always made them understand that when they were on the table it was time to do what had to be done...but when we were done and before i would love on them and play and give treats...i don't do it anymore ...it has done a real number on my back...i have awful back problems...and when i started the chemicals i used affected me too...i have often thought i would like to do it again...but if i did it would only be a few a day and small dogs...keep up the good work...you do a great job...and just remember it is worth it to take your time...i know you do it for the money too but remember that they will in return love you ...take care ...Becky Baxter..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, and thanks also for the compliment. I am also accumulating an assortment of dogs that are difficult or impossible for others to groom. I think you just need the right combination of patience, time, and experience.

      I also have chronic back problems, and that's one of the things that caused me to start this blog. I know I won't be able to groom forever, so writing is my backup plan.

      I'm at a new groom shop now (primarily), so it is definitely worth it to take my time with every dog. It is anyway, but I'm still trying to build a client base.

      Thanks again for taking the time to comment. I hope you check out some of my other blog posts. As a fellow groomer, I'm sure you'd appreciate my blog about the Worst Customer Ever - it should be in July's archive.

      Jennifer
      The Writing Groomer

      Delete