Sunday, August 12, 2012

Equality and Tolerance

As I'm sitting here watching the Olympic Closing Ceremony, I'm struck at how wonderful it is that 204 countries can get together peacefully and each and every person, regardless of nationality, race, gender, sexuality, or anything else, is given a fair chance at achieving their dreams (well, more or less fair, depending in large part on what resources their country has for training athletes).

Every single country brought female athletes, several for the very first time. The image of the Saudi girl running in long pants, long sleeves, and a

Brain fart. It'll come back to me. I hope.

Anyway, also this year, a double amputee raced for the first time. He even made it out of the qualifying round to the semifinals! I think that's incredible. What a powerful

HIJAB! That's the word I was looking for. Sorry. Welcome to my brain.

Let's try this again, shall we?

The image of the Saudi girl running in long pants, long sleeves, and a hijab was striking for me. It can't be comfortable to run like that, and she finished in last place (which was probably unrelated to her attire), but the fact that she was able to be there and participate, that's pretty amazing. If I remember correctly, she was actually born and raised in America to Saudi parents and chose to run for Saudi Arabia to encourage girls and women in that country to get interested in athletics. And if she had/wanted/chose to remain covered to honor her religion/culture/country, I think it is awesome that she was allowed that opportunity.

I also remember hearing about a female Judo athlete, I think also from Saudi Arabia, but it could have been a different country, who wanted to wear a modified hijab to compete, but all sides had to come to a compromise about what sort of modification would be acceptable. I actually have no idea what came of that discussion. In any case, the fact that we are becoming an inclusive society is encouraging to me.

Oh, back to the South African guy who raced on (blades? Is that what they were called?) prosthetic legs, I also thinks it is amazing that he wasn't forced to be satisfied with the Paralympics, that he was able to race able-bodied men. What a major step forward for society as a whole! And the guy who won the race, who swapped bibs with him? Talk about classy!

The world is slowly becoming more and more accepting of those who are different from ourselves, whether it is people with different religious beliefs, different colored skin, or different sexual preferences.

I look forward to the world becoming more and more equal and tolerant, how about you all?

I welcome ALL CIVIL COMMENTS. I will NOT tolerate bullying, foul language, or attacks, but I am open to all opinions (even if you completely disagree with me) as long as we can have a civil educated discussion and not a brawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment