Thursday, August 16, 2012

Dexter, Part 2

Boy, what an afternoon. I spent about an hour uploading a bunch of pictures of Dexter to Shutterfly because I got an offer for a free photo book, and one of my good friends from work is waiting to find out what's wrong with her dog.

And as I typed that last sentence, I got this text: "Just got her home. They still have no clue what it is. Bloodwork was perfect, no pus when they aspirated, teeth were good, Xrays were good. They gave her a dental cleaning and an injectable antibiotic and if the mass is still there on Monday we bring her back in."

I'm hoping no news is good news. When I brought Dexter to the vet, due in part to the lumps in his neck, I had to wait more than 24 hours for results. The vet had said she would call the next morning, but she waited until after business hours - I get the impression she likes to be alone when she gives out bad news.

Sigh.

Well, since I've been thinking about Dexter all afternoon, I guess I'll just post a bunch of pictures of him. If you haven't read his story already, you can find it here.

This is shortly after I first got him.. Sorry it's so blurry, but it's the best picture I have of how crazy skinny he was when I got him. You could see most of his ribs and his coat was dull. He had been in the shelter for several months before I got him, so I don't know if he came in this skinny or what. My personal theory is that he was too depressed to eat. He is...was...SUCH a person-loving dog.


This next picture was taken two or three months later - he was obviously much healthier by now. Look at how shiny his coat was!


He loved to sleep, but of course he didn't always sleep. Here he is awake and shiny!



Hi Mom. Love me...please?


OK, I have no idea why that picture is two-tone.

And here's his fetch face. Throw the ball...throw the ball...throw the ball...


Big smile!


Sleepy boy.



Hey. I'm Dexter. Nice to meet you.


Throw the ball...




OK, I could go on all night, but it's time to wrap up. This is one of the last pictures taken of Dexter, just days before I had to let him go.


I still miss him like crazy, but most of the time I can put him in a tiny box in the corner of my mind and still be OK. Today is not one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment