Wednesday, December 2, 2015

NaNoWriMo

This year, I participated in NaNoWriMo for the first time. NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to start writing a new novel on November 1 and write 50,000 words (the length of a short novel) by the end of the month.

I completed the rough draft of my first novel, a romance novel, at 67,000 words and 230 double-spaced pages in 22 days.

A little something about myself: I'm not very good at finishing what I start. I've started half a dozen novels before, usually during manic episodes (I'm bipolar), but this is the first time I've actually finished one. It feels amazing!

Right now, I am heeding Stephen King's advice and letting my rough draft sit for a while before I go back and do my rewrite, so that I can approach it with fresh eyes.

In the meantime, I am trying to write another novel, but without the excitement of NaNoWriMo spurring me on, it's slow going.

Anyway, after I rewrite, fix up, and edit my first novel, I would like to get it published. It looks like self-publishing of some sort may be the best way to go. Even if I do strictly an e-book, I've heard a good editor is well worth the money to help you structure your novel in the most reader-friendly way possible.

The problem is, that costs money, money which I don't have. So I'm thinking that I might do a kickstarter fund. I guess right now I'm testing the waters to see if any of my friends, family, and other blog readers might be interested in helping me fund my first self-published book? If I do a kickstarter, I will have a summary and/or excerpt of my novel so people know what they are funding.

In any case, I will probably start blogging regularly again to increase my social media presence in advance of potentially self-publishing my first novel.

I welcome comments, though I do moderate them to weed out some of the spam.

No comments:

Post a Comment